top of page
Search
  • Bobby

WARNING: BLUE-GREEN ALGAE

Updated: Jul 3, 2022

Blue-green algae is a type of bacteria called cyanobacteria

It can be fatal if swallowed even in small quantities

There is no known treatment


The British Veterinary Association (BVA) have issued a warning as this deadly plant is potentially fatal to your pet.

  • Look out for any warning signs put up by the responsible national environment agency or local authority near water bodies.

  • Keep pets on a lead and by your side around water bodies known or suspected to have a blue-green algal bloom – don’t let pets swim in it or drink from it.

  • If your dog has been swimming outside, wash its coat thoroughly with clean water afterwards.

  • Seek emergency veterinary treatment if you’re concerned your pet may have ingested toxic algae.

  • Report sightings of suspected blue-green algae with a photograph via the Bloomin’ Algae app. You can also set up notifications for confirmed sightings in your area.

“There is currently no known antidote for the toxins, so dog owners should seek prompt veterinary treatment to tackle their effects and ensure a good chance of recovery for their pet."







11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

TRYING TO CONTACT US?

INTERNET & PHONE PROBLEMS - we are having connection issues, which we hope will be resolved by close of business tomorrow so please contact us via our website email and we will do our best to help. We

Comments


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page